Rise ‘n’ Shine Muffins
Recipe c/o Joanna Colville-Reeves, UCC nutrition committee member, Nutritionist and Chef, The Brit Beet
This muffin recipe is a great ‘grab ‘n’ go option in the morning. You can make the batter the night before and pop them in the oven whilst you get ready. The protein from the eggs and nuts plus the complex carbohydrates from the fruits and veggies will help fuel your day for maximum performance.
½ cup of olive oil
¾ cup of sugar (I like coconut sugar as it’s higher in minerals than regular cane sugar)
¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce (see how to make your own in recipe below)
2 large eggs
1 medium carrot, grated
½ medium zucchini, grated
1 ripe banana, mashed
½ cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
For Orange flavored muffins: Add the zest and juice of one orange plus ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
For lemon flavored muffins: Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon and ¼ teaspoon of cardamom powder
1½ cups of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder (preferably aluminum free)
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. If you are making your own applesauce, pop 1 apple, cored, into a high speed blender and mix it to a pulp!
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat all the wet ingredients then add in your orange or lemon flavors.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients then add them to the wet ingredients.
5. Gently mix everything together being careful not to over mix as this will give you 12 hockey pucks instead of 12 muffins!
6. Spoon the muffin mixture into muffin cups, filling each ¾’s full (I use a ice-cream scoop which works really well)
7. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done when tested with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 delicious and nutritious muffins to fuel your day.